Friday, August 24, 2012

Guest Review: MMJ is Wonderful in Toronto


It was finally here - my most anticipated concert of the summer. My favorite band making a pit-stop up north for one show, before finishing the rest of their tour in the US. My Morning Jacket showing us all how amazing and powerful and enjoyable live music can be. Expecting the Molson Amphitheater to be the venue, which has given me nothing but amazing concerts, my friends and I were met with a very pleasant surprise… the concert was on Echo Beach, right beside the Amphitheater. So far we have: favorite band, beautiful summer night and a concert on the beach. Recipe for a great time if you ask me! The vibe was just right.

The show itself was unreal. It began with a powerful and energetic "Outta My System" and continued into a great mixture of old classics and newer material. For the hardcore fans it was a pleasure to hear "O Is The One That Is Real," "Phone Went West" (best version I’ve ever heard) and "Master Plan"… amazing! For me, it was especially awesome when I heard "Wonderful" off the latest album, Circuital. I went to several shows last summer for the Circuital tour and "Wonderful" was the only song I had yet to see and hear live. Check. It did not disappoint, I was smiling ear to ear the whole time!

I have since done all in my power to find the bootleg because I want to re-live this show again and again…and again! If you have never seen MMJ live you really are missing out. One of the best hidden gems going - you wont have a bad experience unless you a) drink too much (always a possibility) b) don’t like live music c) are a total square d) all of the above. (Editor's Note: do total squares ever drink too much?) Aside from that, if you are a normal, functioning music fan who loves a good time and soul tingling jams, MMJ is definitely for you. Involve yourself with them immediately. 

by Matt Simonovich

No comments: